Thursday, May 24, 2007

Shark card, but not a card shark ;)



Recipe:

Stamps: Silly Sealife, "Happy Birthday" from Savvy Stamps

Paper: Taken with Teal, Black, Real Red, More Mustard, white

Ink: Basic Black; Markers: Tempting Turquoise, Taken with Teal, Real Red, Ruby Red, Baroque Burgundy

Accessories: Cuttlebug Spots and Dots and Traffic Jam embossing folders, oval punch, 1/16" punch, 1/4" punch, circle cutter, silver brads, waterbrush

Techniques: watercoloring

The only hard thing on this card is the shark. It about drove me bonkers! I recolored it so many times, I lost count. And what I ended up with was nothing special, but it worked. I used markers and a waterbrush to do the shark. It was hard getting the red on him to match the red cs, but it's fairly close, I think. The frustrating thing is I forgot what colors I used. I made this weeks ago and thought my 45 yo brain would remember. Ha! What was I thinking?? I'll try to remember as best as I can.

For his back, I think I used several reds. Definitely used Real Red, but it was took pinkish to match the cs alone. So I'm pretty sure I added Ruby Red and probably a touch of Baroque Burgundy, but don't quote me! There was lots of blending!

For the belly, I think Tempting Turquoise was used some, and maybe some Taken with Teal. But I honestly can't be sure.

I should've done a shadow under him now that I look more carefully at the card. Next time, I will.

I mounted him on Taken with Teal that was sponged with black ink.

The half circle was actually cut with the circle cutter partially off the piece of cs. That kept me from having to cut the straight side later. I used Cuttlebug Spots and Dots and Traffic Jam embossing folders for the textured patterns. I used an oval punch for the word stamp. The word stamp came from savvystamps.com.

I used silver brads and punched black circles to create the rivet look. I first punched 1/16" holes in black cs, and then punched 1/4" circles over them.

The rest is hopefully self-explanatory.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Mother's Day card 2



Recipe:

Stamps: Happy Harmony, Hero Arts "Happy Mother's Day"

Paper: Rose Red, Black, White

Ink: Black; Markers: Rose Red, Baroque Burgundy, Old Olive

Accessories: Cuttlebug D'vine Swirl embossing folder, black polka dot grosgrain ribbon, dark pink, grosgrain ribbon, Dimensionals, Stamp-a-ma-jig, circle cutter, "stamp" deco scissors

This card was very simple to make. I created the circle with a circle cutter and then cut a slightly larger circle and then finished the edge with some "stamp" deco scissors. I used my Stamp-a-ma-jig to line up the flowers and word stamp. Everything else should be self-explanatory.

Vellum wedding card



Recipe:

Stamps: Happy Harmony

Paper: Lavender Lace, Swirl vellum, silver metallic, white

Ink: Encore purple metallic, Encore silver metallic

Accessories: Dimensionals, metallic ribbon

I rarely have a wedding card to do. So I don't have much in the way of wedding images to work with. But Happy Harmony seemed to fit the bill. I learned a few things while working on this card. I learned that vellum tape does not age well. It yellows and looks horrid after 2 years of storage in a dry, air-conditioned location. Hmm. I also learned that Crystal Effects (Diamond Glaze) is not good for holding down vellum, and it yellows over time, as well. It causes buckling. So I next learned that a teensy bit of mono adhesive is good enough to hold down vellum. In fact, if you hide it under something like a square flower feature, like I have, you can put even more on.

The vellum on this card covers the outside of the Lavender Lace cs completely. I dabbed a bit of the mono on the back to hold it and dabbed a larger amount on the front under the flower feature. The ribbon holds it in place, as well.

For the flower feature, I stamped the flowers in purple Encore metallic ink. I stamped the word stamp in silver Encore metallic. I mounted the flowers on silver metallic cs. The ribbon is a good match for the lavender/silver color combo, as it picks up both colors and effects.

Mother's Day card 1



Recipe:

Stamps: Happy Harmony, Hero Arts "Happy Mother's Day"

Paper: Perfect Plum, Black, Pale Plum, white

Ink: Markers: Perfect Plum, Pale Plum, Basic Black, Old Olive

Accessories: Dimensionals, "stamp" deco scissors, moss grosgrain ribbon, black grosgrain ribbon, Cuttlebug Textile Texture embossing folder, Stamp-a-ma-jig, Air art gun

Techniques: watercolor misting

This card is simple to make, but looks harder. I cuttlebugged the Pale Plum cs with the Textile Texture embossing folder. I used the circle cutter to make two circles, one larger than the other. Then I used some "stamp" deco scissors to trim the bigger circle. I used the Stamp-a-ma-jig to position the flowers and the word stamp.

I used the watercolor misting technique on the flowers.