Saturday, April 12, 2008

Card using Stampin' Up! Sweet Herbs set for a friend's challenge and a Mojo Monday design challenge

This card uses a design challenge I saw on Amy Westerman's blog.



I wanted to stamp some more so I asked Teresa to challenge me with her choice of stamp set. She chose Sweet Herbs (retired Stampin' Up!) as her first choice. I'll admit that as much as I like this set, I find it a challenge to use creatively. But I like a challenge and decided to give it a more current look. Designer papers are all the rage in the stamping world, and I have plenty to play with even though my collection is minuscule compared with some stampers. So you might recognize these papers (from the Blitzen Collection by Basic Grey). I've used them many times before. They're very versatile. I stamp right on the papers and they take the ink very well.

I used the Cuttlebug and the Script embossing folder for the strip across the bottom of the card. Cuttlebugging always adds a nice touch, don't you think?

I made a little mini purse by punching out 2 squares of designer paper and punching holes in a symmetrical pattern around 3 of the edges. Then I used 3 strands of dark brown embroidering floss and a cross stitching needle and sewed around the edges. Nothing fancy, but I like the contrast. I made a handle for the purse with another 3-strand piece of embroidery floss, tied it to the top holes and left a little fringe. I tucked a smaller punched square of vellum that I stamped (before punching), and then adhered it with a couple of Dimensionals so it would stay put and "float".



In fact, I used a lot of Dimensionals on this card. It's popping out all over the place, just the way I like it. :) Hope you like it, too.

Recipe:

Stamps: SU Sweet Herbs (retired), SU Amazing to Zany
CS: Black, Designer papers from Basic Grey's Blitzen Collection, Vellum
Ink: StazOn Jet Black
Other: Cuttlebug and Cuttlebug "Script" embossing folder, Black mini-brads, Stamp-a-Ma-Jig, Square punch, 1/16"hole punch, Brown embroidery floss, Cross stitching needle, Dimensionals

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I stamped today! Fresh Fruits set

It's been a long time.



This is a simple design to start back with. I had to use a flash to get the colors right. I oomphed it up a bit by using the Cuttlebug and the Mesh embossing folder on the pumpkin cardstock. To bring out the relief image of the embossing, I sponged some pumpkin ink over it. Of course, I used black as an accent color, as anyone who knows my card-making style would expect. ;)

To make the pineapple bottom, I used 2 colors of ink: mustard and ruby red - both together created a pumpkin-y color. I stamped first in the mustard, and then in the red, and then on the white cardstock. For the top I used mustard and olive green, stamping in the mustard first, then the olive. Then I rubbed a black marker around the edges of the stamps and stamped over the inked images. I use a Stamp-a-Ma-Jig to position the second images properly. I huffed on the stamps before stamping every time, btw.

Here's a close-up of the pineapple so you can see how nice the inks mesh together and how cool it looks to outline the images:



I really like how the image turned out! I'll be doing this again.

Recipe:

Stamps: SU Fresh Fruits, Amazing to Zany
CS: Black, Pumpkin, White
Inks: More Mustard, Ruby Red, Old Olive, Basic Black, Pumpkin Pie
Other: Basic Black marker, Cuttlebug, "Mesh" embossing folder, zigzag ribbon, oval punch, Stamp-a-Ma-Jig, silver mini-brad, Dimensionals